Welcome to Through 50!

This is my personal blog, where I shove in all kinds of things that I'm doing post 50. It may not all be new, but since I've never written about it, it just as well be to me.

I hope you find my take on any number of things interesting!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

My First Marathon

1/28/12

The Playlist for my 1st Marathon Post 50

For many of you, your music is an important part of your training, and it is for me.   For those interested, here's my playlist for the marathon I ran on 1/20/2012.




1/28/12

Tapering

I've never had the luxury of really worrying about how to do a taper before a marathon - I usually train for one in a year, and leading up to the race, my longest run is the race itself.

This year, I've already knocked down my first marathon, so Feb 12, will be be second.  Accordingly, I'm playing the taper game.

Regarding tapering, there's a lot of info our there about how to taper before a marathon.   For the race next month, I'm using this approach, tapering article.

In this article, it describes what to do 3 weeks before a marathon.  Since I'm two weeks out before my next big run, I needed to do a 14, and I did so this morning, 14 miler.

As I work through this the next two weeks, I'll update you on how it went - of course the weather always hoses up such a schedule, but hopefully, I can adapt to the weather as needed.

Tapering, ....


1/22/12

The Next One

Ok, now that the first post 50 marathon is out of the way, it's time to get focused on next month's Birmingham Marathon.

Here, or there, my biggest concern is/will be weather.   I really have no interest, and will not be running in the rain.   Even a warm rain is problem for me due to wet shoes which really really cause my poor feet a problem.  Hopefully, I'll have a dry run.  The cold I can deal with, but it must be dry.

Shoes.  I have to get a new pair of shoes.  I really should have bought them already, but I just didn't get around to it.  I don't think they are worn out from compression, but more the heals are scuffed down so low, I'm sure I'm unduly hurting my knees and back due to the material loss.  I'm buying'em!



Something very new for me now is to cycle through the next three weeks a training program that makes sense.   I've read several articles on this, but I haven't chosen a program yet.   When I do, I'll start detailing it here to let you know what might make sense for you, particularly if you've never run back to back marathon's in less than a month.

Finally, I'm going to order a prosthetic for my toes.  I've seen a few toe straighteners and bunion inserts.  What I need is an appliance that separates my two smallest toes, and lifts the outer part of my foot up to relieve pressure from my little toe.  The real issue here is that my little toes are turned on there side so much that they really can't take any pressure or pounding.   Running on the inside of my foot helps but it doesn't alleviate the problem totally.   Hopefully a little experimentation here will go a long way.

1/20/12

FINALLY!


My first marathon post 50, completed today!

Wow, I can't believe it.  This was my fourth marathon.  Today's marathon was not a race, but rather a training run for upcoming races , however, it was 26.2 miles plus some change, and therefore I declare it as my first completed marathon post 50!!!!!!!!!!

I got up about 3:55 am, ate breakfast and got ready to go.

This morning's weather was totally different from this past month's training runs of 30F, this morning it was 50F.  That at least meant shorts.

I got started about 4:45.

At about mile 3 I chunked my outer long sleeve running shirt.  At first I was a bit chilled, but as I ran on  I knew my clothes were perfect for the temperature.  I still had my running gloves in my pocket, so if I got cold could at least put those on for a little warmth.

At mile 6, I knew this was going be a great run, I didn't know whether I'd be able to go the distance, but I did feel great - the temp felt good, my breakfast had settled well, my achilles felt good, my left toe felt good.   So I really focused on getting into the zone.

When I had gone out, I had not run my mapped out run of going through Providence, which was to add about 4 miles to my normal through the country route - the 4 miles would be needed to get at the 26.2 distance.  My thinking was that when I returned near the house at 21 or 22 miles in, I'd simply add the extra miles close to the house in the event I was struggling, got hurt, cramped or whatever.

At about mile 8, where I normally turn north to go up Nickfitchard, I went south to add about 3 miles to the through the country route, that would put be back to the house at about 21 miles run which was what I was going to need.

I had set my MapMyRun iPhone app to provide voice status every 3 miles.  At this point, I was now 12 miles in, and my pace was sill at less than 11 min/mile - fabulous.

At mile 13, I'm on Burwell Road, and I have to go up Burwell Hill.  It's a bear,  but I put my head down and got up it, the reward was that for next 2 miles I'd have slightly down hill or flat running before my next big hill at 15 1/2 miles.

At this point, since I had been really sucking the water down out of my camelbak, I knew I'd have to replenish my supply.  Fortunately I run through a new housing development, so a new house was on my route that was empty and had water.  I filled the pak up, and now was good to go.

At mile 17 or so, I gave Linda a call and let her know I was good, and that I might lose battery on my cell, but to not worry since I was now running through neighborhoods just south of Sparkman High, so little traffic and 25mph traffic.

I heard my voice status update at mile 18, sounded like I was on a pretty good pace still, my average had dropped to 11:15, but still pretty good.

At mile 21 got another app voice status update, just as I was crossing Jeff Road at Blakebottom, now I was close to home.  At this point I had plenty of water, and I had battery, a key for playing some tunes from my marathon playlist.

I did need to add or come up with an additional five miles to get the mileage, so I elected to run my normal route of 4 miles, but before I did, I added a few segments in Hidden Creek, just off of Bishop Road.   Then I got back onto Bishop Road, running south and then turning left on Southview.   Now I was at mile 23, and it was approximately 4 1/2 hours into the run.   I then realized I had a shot at coming pretty close to breaking 5 hours for the marathon.

At 24, I knew without question, that I was going to finish.  Physically I was good, my left toe was now screaming from a blister, but I ignored the pain, and kept running.  Now it was time for some serious iTunes songs that would boost me for the next 2.   A little Rush, a little Peter Gabriel, a little Steely Dan and some Moody Blues, Switchfoot and Sugarland "Incredible Machine".

A couple of times for the last mile, I kept opening app, to see how much further.  The last time I looked before I finished, it said 25.5, now only 0.7 miles left.

Again, I put my head down, limping a bit from the toe, and kept going.  I had crossed Indian Creek for the last 2 miles, and now crossed it again, and thought I run to the end of the street, that should do it.

Finally.   Before I stopped, I pulled up the app, to verify I was a bit more than 26.2, and the app said, 26.4.   I was done!  I stopped, and began my half mile walk home.

I called Linda, I couldn't get her, but sent her a text, "I'm done, and will be home in 10 or 20 minutes".  I figure I'd take my time.

Along the way home, I cut through some yards, and saw a guy returning from a walk.  I had just cut through his lawn, so I explained what I was doing, and then ask would he take a photo.   He did, and it's here below.

I was happy.   I had done it.  It was the culmination of training that had begun way back in early September over Labor Day weekend, where I had done a 5K training run that marked my start on my first Marathon post 50.

Running a marathon is about a lot of hard work, tenacity, and dealing with obstacles.  I had weathered a head cold two weeks before, a failed attempt a week before, my left toe issues, frozen water issues the week before, figuring out a time to get this in weather wise, determinations of night before diets, challenges associated with my job, challenges so much, and yet I had so many successes along the way that had propelled me, like my 23 miler on Christmas Eve, my great Monte Sano 15K run and so much more.

I don't know if I'll complete the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham next month, or whether I'll run the Nashville one in April, it doesn't matter because today, I got it done and I feel so good that I was able to do it.

I broke a 2003 personal best of 5:10.  I didn't quite break 5 hours, I think it was 5:02 for the 26.2, but I did it all with no walking - I stopped to cross roads and highways, I stopped got get more water, but there was no walking, all running.

Why did I run my fourth marathon and my first post 50?  Simple.  There is a time coming when I won't be able to - this year, next year, 5 years from now, not sure.  Why run 26.2 miles, because I can!

My thanks.   Thanks to Linda and my family for their encouragement, and thanks to my Facebook friends, and my friends at Monrovia church.  Thanks to you all for asking, encouraging and cheering me on.

Thanks!

26.2

Go here for the route, the elevation and the splits, it's all there.

MapMyRun's archive of the run!

Happy Jeff!







1/14/2012

ANOTHER DAY!

This morning's attempt at 26.2 was a flop!!!

Ok, first of all, due to weather and other family circumstances, I did not run my scheduled Mobile AL First Light Marathon last Sunday.  So, the plan was to run the Jeff Goode marathon, 26.2 miles, today.  It didn't happen.

I was all set, I had a reasonable tapper week, only logging 7 miles for the week or so, rested and hydrated and carbo loaded Friday.

I got up at 3:35 AM this morning, did breakfast, did the prep ritual, etc, etc, and got started about 4:30am.

About 2 miles in, things started going south in a hurry.

First, at 2 miles I went to take a drink from my camelbak, nothing doing, the sucker was frozen.  Yes, frozen.  When I started the thermometer said 26F, so you guessed it, the hose leading from the bottom of the pack to the mouth piece froze.  Well I didn't throw in the towel then.  I took it off, while running, and began to bend the hose back and forth, after about 2 miles, that's 20 minutes for me, I finally got water, what an ordeal.

Yes, I got water, but in the course of all the rework and working of the hose, I lost a strap off the front of the pack, and now it's just hanging around my arms, with no gathering strap across my chest.   Now, I'm really really aggravated.

Since it was 26F, I knew I had to drink often to keep the hose clear.   Well after a few miles I was water  bloated.   As you might imagine these all caused me to tense up, and get aggravated, it threw my whole pace and rhythm off, but I proceeded on.

Finally, after at about mile 7 began to get into a rhythm, such as it was, with the missing strap and all.

Now for the second issue!

When I did 22+ miles 3 weeks ago, I injured my right achilles.  Yes, yes, yes, you guessed it.  At mile 9 or so it shows it's head.  My right calf muscle began to tense up and tighten.

At this point, I'm now nearing about 10 miles in, and I new it just wasn't going to be my day for a full marathon run.

So, I recouped, and re-adjusted my route, I was not going to opt for 15 or so.

At mile 12 or so, my left toe, which I favor heavily when I ran then began to show it's head.   Oh boy, just when I thought I could at least finish a 15 with nothing else going wrong, the little pinky toe decides to rebel and throw his towel in.

But, I kept going.

At mile 15, I noticed the water hose was frozen again, so I'd be finishing up the run, now with about a mile and half remaining with no water, a hurt toe, and a tight right calf.

But as marathoners do, I sucked it up, put my head down, throw the camelbak in a near by colvert for a return fetch pickup in the car, and kept running.

Finally, I was at my stopping point at just over 16 and 1/2 miles, limping on the left, and limping on the right.  I'm sure my last mile was over a 12 minute pace, or worse, but my overall average for the run was 11 min 15 sec, not too terribly bad given all the things that had gone wrong.

Now, I'm focusing on re-tooling and getting ready for the Birmingham marathon in a month, I'm certain  there will be hurdles.

My next marathon, first post 50,  will have to wait another day!

,, ..... :-(



12/28/11

This Engine Wants to Rev!

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

The machine has been built, and it wants to run!

These days when I go to bed, if I just think about running some, my internal alarm clock goes off at 3:45 AM and says, hey Jeff, take me out for a 10+ miler!

That's what happened this morning - I woke up at 3:45, laid in bed till 4:15, got up piddled, ate breakfast, then ran 10.

I was really ready to run too, I had taken off 3 days since the 23 miler, and I guess the engine, the body, needed to run.

Reminds me of the Formula 1 engines, that are designed to race at 19,000 RPM.  They are designed for racing, so they really don't idle well, they idle at 7,000 RPM! And it just doesn't sound right idling.

The 10 this morning was at a solid 10 min/mile pace.   That's much less than my desired race pace off 11, so it was bit of a speed workout.

Since I'm supposed to be tapper, my other runs this week, probably two more, will only add up to 10.

On both, I hope to be well under 10 minutes.

Just trying to keep the mileage down so my body and properly heal from the 23, and so it will be absolutely raring to go for the 26 in less than 2 weeks!


12/25/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

On 12/24, Christmas eve I did just under 23 miles.  I woke up at 3am ate breakfast, did my half mile warm up walk, and got started at 4:07am!

I purposely dialed back on my pace and focused on completing a long run that pushed the time on the road up to over 4 hours.  This run as 4 hours, 33 minutes.

All in all it was a good run, however some things to note.

I had gone out to eat, and couldn't find a pre-marathon carb up dish I liked, I had quesadillas.  They really didn't give me the push I needed.  However instead of gu packs, I took the big runner's bars, 250 calories, and ate two of them.

At mile 8 or so, my right calve was tightening, and I was wondering whether I might have to throw in the towel.  I pressed on, watched my speed, and fortunately it didn't cramp.

The biggest issue I had with this run was after the fact.   My left Achilles tendon was sore and a bit swollen this morning, the day after, and it's spooked me a bit.   Today I've stayed off of it, and I'm icing it.  Since I lightly stretched afterwards and rested and drank plenty of water, I'm not sure why I woke up with the swelling - other than I had moved my long run up from 3:39 to 4:33, a pretty substantial jump.

Hopefully taking off for a few days will ease the swelling and soreness.

12/20/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

It's time for 23.

Sometime this week it will be time for the 23 miler, as my last long run was close to 20.

I've really ramped hard this month of December, running 93 miles during the first 19 days to get ready for my first Marathon post 50.

My plan beginning today, is just to relax and wait for a 4 hour slot sometime this weekend when I can lay down the 23 miles!   I hope to do this training run at somewhere between 4 and 4 hours 20 minutes.

I had signed up to run the Mercedes Marathon in February in B'ham, however, I peaked a bit earlier than expected, so I'm hoping that I can get down to the Mobile First Light Marathon on Jan 8.  I ran it in December 2003 in around 5:10, so it would really be nice to better that PR.

You'd be surprised just difficult it is to get the right conditions for a 4 hour run in Huntsville.   No wind, no rain, and on the weekend so as to avoid the work day traffic.

Further, I think it may be time to invest in a container of pepper spray, recently I've been approached by an unwanted dog.   As much as I love dogs, I don't understand why I should have to deal with them coming into my area - the road.   Hopefully, I won't have to go there.

So, next stop 23.  Hopefully I can keep drinking a lot of water, and hold off on all the Christmas goodies long enough so that I don't have to run in a bloated condition!

I'll let you know when this milestone has been met!


12/17/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

Cracking the Code.

I've been running/jogging well over 20 years, ... I think it was 1987 when I ran my first Cotton Row Run 10K!

You'd think by now, I have this running thing figured out, right?  Actually not really.

In the past 3 weeks I've discovered 3 new things about myself and running,

Push up training, water boy tactics, and yes, what to do about my sweet little toes.

Push up training.


In order to really train my body to run 26.2 miles, I suppose it goes without saying that the average miles per week needs to be at least 25 or so.   But there's one important key I've learned for me, and that is to have in addition to a long run every two weeks, I really need to focus on pushing up three different types of runs, my speed run, my hill run, and my intermediate distance run.

Marathon training is about pushing.  So for me I have to select a speed run, not the normal 800K sprints that some folks do, but rather a single 3-5 mile workout that allows me to push my per minute pace.   For me, pushing at and up and improving my speed run is important.  Currently my speed workout is 4 miles, which and I'm able to run it right at 9 min/mile.

My hill training run is 7.5 miles.   On it are two steep hills, and one of them I run twice.   Currently I can do this run in 10 minutes/mile.  But the key is I know the run, and I try to run it stronger and better each time I go out.

Finally, and this may be the most important run, the intermediate-distance run.  Right now that run is mostly flat, and is almost 12 miles.  My focus here is really to do an intermediate distance run at least twice during a 2 week period.   This particular run has influenced my post 16 mile long runs more than any other.   What I noticed is that having run a strong 12 mile run prior to my 16 and my 19 mile runs allowed me to complete those runs with relative ease - instead of being out of gas at 16 of my 19 mile run, I was strong and had a great strong last 3 miles.

I think the best thing at my age I can do is try to get my per week miles up to at least 30 or 35, but in so doing, I focus on pushing up all 4 run types over the course of the 2 week long run period, in other words, I try to

Improve the time on my speed run, I try to endure and enjoy the hill run, I try and really focus on endurance and form for a 12 mile run, and finally I had to the magic long run 2 miles every two weeks!

Water boy tactics.

I have to have water any time I run more than 5 miles.   Accordingly, in times past I've gone out to my course the night before and placed water bottles at strategic points.  For example for a 10 mile run, I put water at 3.5, 5 and 8.5.

The problem with that is that the night before, I don't want to go out an place water.  Further, to it takes time and momentum away to fish out these water bottles from there hiding place along the way.

So, instead I now use a camelbak water backpack for all of my runs over 5 or 6 miles.  I simply fill it with water to match the distance planned.   This is simply great.  Now I can sip water and eat my gu packs anytime I feel like it, and that has made a tremendous difference.

Now, for a personal note about my small toes, my sweet little toes.

When I run more than 8 miles or so, my feet really swell, and my my outside toe on each foot blisters.  In the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have cracked this code.

Now, I purposely make myself run on the inner portion of my foot for these longer than 8 mile runs.  I have to specifically run on my big toes.  For me, it's not natural but oh how beneficial.   When I run on my big toes, it does cause my big toe to callus up and blister a bit, but hey, he can take it, after all he's the big toe.

This finding has changed everything.  Again, I'm still experimenting with this, but for now, all I can say is that I've conquered a serious weakness I've had for years and years, an my little toes are thankful!


11/27/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

I thought it would be worth cataloging my runners garb and ritual.

Ritual

Get a full night's sleep at least two nights before the run, though the night before would be good.  But for race day, the night before is usually shortened, by whatever, so two nights before is key.   Drink water at every meal the day before, and don't eat a large steak the night before.   Without going into much detail here, it's important to have annoying daily maintenance activities out of the way before you run - accordingly, I recommend coffee or bran as soon as you get up on long run morning.   For men, I also recommend Nip and V protection.

Garb


  1. Your favorite shoes, for now for me that's the NB M1260B in size 10 EE width
  2. Good running socks, I recommend http://www.balega.com/
  3. Long running pants or short runners boxers with key holder
  4. Short sleeve dryfit running shirt, plus additional long sleeve runners shirt depending on temp
  5. Runners belt - with lip balm, Advil, band aides, GU, phone
  6. Water pack - either belt or a skier camelbak
  7. Runner's gloves
  8. Dry fit running cap, and additionally head band to protect the ears based on temp
  9. Additionally, head lamp if you are starting in the dark


That's it,

Jeff


11/25/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

Ok, this is getting tough.  16.4 miles this morning!

Anytime I run over 10 or so, I have to psych myself up and out the day before.   Several times during yesterday's Thanksgiving festivities I put the number 16 in my mind.  Yesterday morning I went to MapMyRun.com and mapped out the run, so mentally, I new when I'd be running and when.  I had seen a few days before that weather conditions would be ideal, so my plan was set.

Last night I got home around 8:00PM, so I had plenty of time to get my running garb together and get to bed early.   Also, during the meals yesterday I was sure to drink water with the meals instead of tea or coke.

I woke up at about 4:15 am this morning.  I wasn't sure whether it was too early or not, but I went ahead and got up.   I did my normal Nip and V prep, and then ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast.  I got suited up including long running pants, a short sleeve running shirt underneath a long sleeve running shirt, gloves, headband, cap, sunglasses, headlamp, gu packs, phone, lip balm and runners belt.   And yes, as before with my previous 11 mile run, I put on the camelbak water back pack.

By the time I got out and did my 1/2 mile warm up walk, it was approximately 5:15 am.

I started out with Paul Simon and the Graceland CD - since I had done the concert in Columbus last Saturday.   Afterwards, I listened to a bit of LeanStartup by Eric Ries.  I'd read the book already but pulled it down to my iPhone while I was suiting up.

The first two - three miles were no problem.  At about mile 4 I was in my routine and zone.

However, at Kelly Spring Road, there's construction.  I knew this before the run, but I thought it would be simple to get through the road work to cross Ardmore Highway - I was wrong!   This was a mess, and I mired up in the mud in my new NB shoes.   But I remained focused and determined - I had done too much prep to get foiled by this, so I just ran off all the caked on mud - that took about a mile!

I had planned to go to planned to turn around at Bob Wade and Nick Fitcheard, but because of the issue at Kelly Spring and 53, I changed my mind.  Instead I turned north on Nick Fitcheard and ran until I hit Burwell Road.    Well, I've run the Burwell Rd hill before, but this morning I wasn't especially ready for it - but again, I did it anyway.

As I came down Burwell Rd toward 53 I put in JT, and that was welcome.  October Road, and Shower the People were awesome.

I got up the Burwell Road hill, and then crossed 53 and stayed on Burwell.  Well, it had construction too, but this was no issue.  I ran over to Jeff Rd, and then started south.

Typically, I don't like running on Jeff Rd, but I figured on Black Friday, the north bound traffic would be light - it was.

The last 3 miles south on Jeff Rd were brutal.  My left toe, thanks pinky toe, began to swell and blister and yes, howl!  But, I pressed on anyway.  I slowed my pace way down, and then began to experiment with rolling my feet to try to get comfortable again.   It worked well enough.

After I got over the the Douglas Rd rise, at the light, I could see the Blake Bottom light - that's what I needed.   At that point I only had about 1 1/2 to go, so I dug down and focused again.  Just keep mov'in.

By the time I got back to Fred Atkinson, I had quite a limp going, the toe was winning, but by that time, it was time to stop.  I had made it.  16+ miles with no walking, only a slight slight pause as I slithered through the mud and Kelly Spring Rd and 53, other than that, I had ran non-stop the entire way.

Time?  Well it doesn't really matter, but I did time it - 3:20:43.

That's note a great time, but hey, it's about tenacity, endurance, and yes, finishing.

So there you have it, sweet 16 on Black Friday 2011.   I got it done!

Keep moving!

BTW, here's the MapMyRun map of the run!  Sweet 16 on Black Friday 2011

Next up, 19 near Providence .


11/20/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

This past week marked two 6 mile runs.   I prefer to run in cold weather, 35-45F, but in the winter finding times to run other than on Saturday or Sunday is pretty tough - it's dark!

So for this week, my first 6 mile run was at 5:30 am, before work.  It was cold, 35F, but there was no wind.   In Columbus this has been a safe run, since I'm running on the Alum Creek Greenway.   I run with a headlamp to ensure that I don't step on a critter, and to frighten other animals (deer, rabbits) away, actually more to have them hide so they don't jump me!

This coming week, I need to do a long run of 16 miles.   My plan is to do that in Huntsville over the Thanksgiving holidays.

11/12/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

This morning, I did it, yes, the Cades Cove 11 mile loop!  Starting temperature was 30F, and finish temp was 40F or so.   No wind though and total sunshine, so for me this was perfect conditions.

I ran with Amy and David, fellow runners and part of my fam.

We started out a little before 8 am.

After about a mile or two, I got into my pace, and let Amy and David find theirs.

There were a lot of deer and turkey, and of course the absolute gorgeous scenery of the Smoky Mountains.

Like the first time I ran this loop, we ran against the traffic.   For me this is critical, since it allows me to see cars coming, without constantly having to look over my shoulder for cars approaching from behind.  Since the traffic is one-way, this makes for ideal running.

This run, I tried something new.  The camelback water backpack.   I uses these for snow skiing, but I never have run with one.  It looks goofy, but this way, I was able to sip water at will.   Also, when I got hungry I was able to eat my gu gel, and then have water available, without having to worry where the next watering hole was.

At about mile 7 or so, I tried to increase my pace from my normal 11:30 pace to around 10 or so.  I was able to hold the 10 min mile pace for the last 2 miles before I hit the final hill section.

All in all, truly my best run of 2011.   Finish time was around 1 hour, and 55 minutes.

An incredible run.

I needed to run 14 miles today as part of my marathon training, so this afternoon I'll drive down the mtn and find a flat space to get in 3 more miles.

Now for the incredible elixer , the recipe.

Temp at 30F, no wind, bring sunny skies, beautiful mountain scenery and fresh air, friends with a common goal, the camelbak, a few packs of gu, some lip balm, mostly just quiet, but a little Cold Play Mylo Xyloto thrown in now and then, a free spirit and mind all make for something very hard to beat, a fabulous run!  P.S. I almost forgot, new EE wide New Balance running shoes, now my little toe is not crying.

Oh by the way, I'm now signed up for the Feb marathon in B'ham!   Keep those miles com'n!




10/29/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

This morning I ran 11.2 miles along the Alum Creek Greenway at my Easton apartment.

Normally, I get up and run early, but today I first had breakfast at Northstar - wonderful.

So, I got started about 11:45 am.  From events of last Saturday, I was running with a new runners belt.  All was well there.

The difference for this run as I had the new ColdPlay CD Mylo Xyloto.  This CD is incredible.  Since my run was 2:20, I must have listened to the CD 3 times through - at least.

5.5 miles in gave Linda a call to check in.   When I started with was 40F or so, when I finished it was near 50F, so a little warm really.

Oh the toes.   My toes are my achilles heel when it comes to running.  At the moment my left littlest toe is blistered and screaming.  This always happen when I start doing more than 10 mile runs.  No different today, this puppy is hurting.  So, I'll lay off any long runs until I get to Cades Cave.

I hope to be able to do an easy 3 or 5 tomorrow or Monday, then 5 or so later in the week.

Looking good so far for a Feb marathon!

10/23/11

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

Yesterday I ran 12 miles.  It was a pretty good run.  All was well until mile 6.  My runners belt lost a buckle, and the belt dropped around my ankles.   Since I've come to rely on my belt for 10+ mile runs, this was a problem.   So I unloaded my phone and goo packs, lip balm and advil into my pockets.   I wasn't as steamlined, but the ran carried on.

At mile 10 or so, I really struggled to keep any sort of reasonable pace, I was probably running a 12-13 minute pace, but, I finished.  I didn't walk, only stopped briefly to take water and a restroom break in the woods.

The run was 2 1/2 hours.  I had hoped for around 2:15, but hey, I got it in, with no walking!   Next stop, 14 miles at Cades Cove TN.   My plan is to run a 5K before the 11 mile loop run to get to 14 for the day!




10/9/2011

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

Along the journey, I had a glorious run at the Monte Sano 15K yesterday.  Race conditions were incredible, 60F, and a little breezy.

I started off by having a chat with a fellow runner that was running bare-footed.   Pretty odd looking amongst all the tennis shoed runners.  He said he runs a 11 min pace, so I figure I'd start out and chat for the first mile or so.   After about a 1/2 mile, I was feeling good, so as I moved up to a 10.5 min pace, I left him.

I took on water at 3 miles, and took a goo pack at 4 or so at the water station.   At 3 miles I was 31.5 minutes, to the pace was good.

At mile 5 I was at 52 minutes, and really really felt good.  I had a steady and strong pace, and continued to speed up a bit.

Miles 6-7 are a bit hilly, but I continued to pass people as I went up the rolling hills.   I probably didn't need to but I took another goo pack at 7 and a half at the water station.   At that point I felt really strong and knew I'd have a strong finish.

On this run, there's a dog leg during the last mile that prevents you from seeing the finish line until you are only 75 yards away.  With about 1/4 mile to go a couple of runners passed me.   Normally at this point, I don't care, but since I was feeling so good, I decided to see if I could pass them back.  I did.

I took the first guy back with about 100 yards to go.  However, I think the lady could hear me coming so I kicked it.   As I got up to her, since were only 50 yards away, she kicked it, and I kicked harder and sprinted to the finish - she let out a comment "you stinker!"

I got outrun with 50 yards remaining on the St. Jude Marathon in 2009, so I felt it was time to return the favor to someone else.

Initially, she didn't like it, but I told her she had a good race, and she agreed.

Summary, it was an incredible morning for a run!

Next stop, the Cades Cove 11 mile loop, however, I need to get another long run in before Cades Cove, in 2 weeks, so I guess I'll do 11 in two weeks, and try and tack on another couple of miles when I run at Cades Cove.

9/10/2011

My First Marathon? Not really, but it will be my first marathon post 50.

This is momentous and worth blogging about.   I don't know yet when it will happen, in 2011, or early 2012, not sure.  However to finish this first Post 50 Marathon, I must start, and I have.

I kicked off my training at DoubleHead Resort last weekend with a run on the doublehead jogging trail.  I ran the out and back gravel path in the rain last Sunday.   It was a 5K.  Easy, simple, pleasant.

I didn't know that run was the start of my training, but after today's run, I'm making that declaration now.

This morning, I did the Lovvorn Lane 5 mile run.  That run leaves Lovvorn and Bishop, hits SouthView, North on Indian Creek, left at Cotton Row, then back south.  I run in the grass to stay off of BlakeBottom.

My training strategy for this my 4th Marathon is no walking.

I've run 3 Marathons, Dec 2003, Dec 2008 and Dec 2009.   In all three marathons I've had to walk to finish.  This is a bummer.   For my 4th marathon, I want to finish having jogged the entire way - no walking.

This is going to be tough.  I don't necessarily care about the time, however, if I don't walk, I should break 5 hours.

There are a couple of milestones I'll be sharing along the way.  One I can share now.  I will in Townsend  TN on Nov 10th.  So a good intermediate milestone on my way is to run the Cades Cove 10 mile loop.   So I need to steadily move between a 5 mile run, and a 10 miler in 8 weeks.

Should be doable!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing that you can do any of this! So impressed that you are working hard to keep in shape. God bless you!

    Sharon Voorhees

    ReplyDelete