Welcome to Through 50!

This is my personal blog, where I shove in all kinds of things that I'm doing post 50. It may not all be new, but since I've never written about it, it just as well be to me.

I hope you find my take on any number of things interesting!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Don't Lay Down!

As I've moved through the 40s to 50, there is a an urge to minimize risk, stay low, do nothing, "lay down".

It's like a pull of gravity almost, keeping you down, a feeling that it is time to slow down.

I have learned that physically, we have to listen to our body when it says "I'm not as young as I used to be!".   But emotionally, should we listen?

A couple of months ago, I booked a ticket to see Brooke Fraser in concert in Cleveland OH.   Since I'm working in Columbus, and since it was a Monday night, this meant that I was going to need to leave work early to drive to Cleveland from Columbus, and that I was going to be getting in very late, past 1PM.   When I booked the ticket, I didn't concern myself with these logistics issues, I just wanted to got to a concert!   However, when it was time to make the drive, and when I thought about how late I was going to be getting in, I seriously thought about forgetting the whole thing, and just not going.  Reason?  It was going to be too much trouble.

I'm really glad I pushed through the urge to "lay down".   Yes, I could have car trouble along the way, and if I had, I'm pretty certain I would have regretted going.   But I didn't have car trouble, it was a bright sunny day, and since I have a convertible, that meant top down!   The concert was a blast, and I'm absolutely glad I went.

Resist the emotional gravity that seems to come with getting older.  Keep emotionally in shape by continuing to push through and out of the comfort of doing nothing, and staying home, and laying down!


No comments:

Post a Comment