Welcome to Through 50!

This is my personal blog, where I shove in all kinds of things that I'm doing post 50. It may not all be new, but since I've never written about it, it just as well be to me.

I hope you find my take on any number of things interesting!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Seinfeld: Do the Opposite?


You can check out the Seinfeld script below, but the idea is that if everything I'm doing or decision I make turns out wrong, then perhaps I should try doing exactly the opposite of what I would normally do.

I heard a CEO at a trade show reference this same episode and say that he had incorporated this into his thinking when trying to resolve a problem or dilemma.

As a 50er, this is absolutely fun to experiment with!

For George, the opposite thinking is to be honest, because normally he lies about himself when trying to meet a woman.   He has to lie because he's bald, is jobless, and lives with his parents!

Today, I'm going to play the opposite game!




In this episode of Seinfeld, George does the opposite.


( A blonde looks at George )
Elaine : Ah, George, you know, that woman just looked at you.
George : So what? What am I supposed to do?
Elaine : Go talk to her.
George : Elaine, bald men, with no jobs, and no money, who live with their parents, don't approach strange women.
Jerry : Well here's your chance to try the opposite. Instead of tuna salad and being intimidated by women, chicken salad and going right up to them.
George : Yeah, I should do the opposite, I should.
Jerry : If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.
George : Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing, and regret it for the rest of the day, so now I will do the opposite, and I will do
something!
( He goes over to the woman )
George : Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice that you were looking in my direction.
Victoria : Oh, yes I was, you just ordered the same exact lunch as me.
( G takes a deep breath )
George : My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.
Victoria : I'm Victoria. Hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment